● An anal fissure is a small cut or tear in the inner lining of the anus due to hard or large stools. These cuts in the anus lining result in pain with or without anal bleeding during bowel movements.
● Usually, anal fissure is not a serious condition and it heals itself completely in 3 to 6 weeks.
● An anal fissure is considered chronic if it is recurring or lasting for more than 6 weeks.
Common causes of anal fissures are:
● Hard and large stools
● Chronic constipation
● Chronic diarrhea
● Straining during bowel movements
● Medical conditions affecting bowels like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis
● Poor blood flow to the anorectal area
● Abnormally tight or spastic anal sphincter muscles
Rare causes of anal fissures:
● Anal cancer
Anal fissures can show the following one or more symptoms:
● A visible tear in the outside of the anal skin
● A skin tag or small lump of skin next to the tear
● Sharp anal pain during bowel movements
● Anal bleeding is seen as streaks of blood on stools or toilet paper after wiping
● Burning or itching in the anus
● Anal fissures are common during infancy, in older adults and women during and after childbirth. Usually, these heal in 3 to 6 weeks themselves.
● If you are experiencing severe sharp anal pain and anal bleeding during bowel movement frequently or for more than 6 weeks, consult the doctor to rule out the underlying cause and the treatment option according to it.
● The surgeon dealing with the medical conditions of the colon and rectum or anus is known as a proctologist.
● Highly experienced proctologists and the latest treatment options available at MEDSTAR have made the treatment of fissures very easy and permanently effective.
At MEDSTAR, our patient gets the advantage of getting treated by globally known surgeons, Dr. Ashwin Porwal and Dr. Shailesh Matkar. Our surgeons are specialized in diagnosing and treating the exact cause of the anal fissure for a long-lasting result. They are skilled in using Lasers for treating anal fissures virtually painlessly with quick recovery.
Along with the best Fissure Doctor in Dubai, we also provide the latest painless and effective options for anal fissure treatment in Dubai.
● Most of the cases of anal fissures heal by themselves in 3 to 6 weeks by maintaining a fiber-rich diet, decent consumption of water, and soaking the perineal area in warm water (Sitz bath).
● Recurring or poorly healing fissures or those located in a position other than the posterior and midline portion of the anus can be associated with an underlying condition.
● A colorectal surgeon or proctologist will diagnose and rule out the underlying cause of fissures. The surgeon will examine the anal area manually or by the use of an anoscope, colonoscopy, proctoscopy, or endoscope to rule out the other causes of anal pain and bleeding.
● Acute fissures ( < 6weeks old ) are often treated with a non-surgical approach with the help of medicines. Even Chronic fissures ( >6 weeks old ) are initially given a trial of medicines. The primary agenda of the treatment is to collide the vicious cycle of anal sphincter spasms and the usual tearing of the anal skin.
● Fissures can be treated with the following methods:
○ Nonsurgical treatment includes the use of medicated creams and ointments, medications, and stool softeners.
○ Surgery: As mentioned above, surgery may be recommended to a patient with chronic fissures where there is no sign of recovery post-trial of medicines and a non-surgical approach
At MEDSTAR, we try to treat anal fissure by diagnosing and treating the exact cause of the anal fissures.
In cases of chronic or recurring or abnormally located anal fissures, our proctologists conduct several diagnostic procedures to rule out the underlying cause with the help of:
● Anoscopy: It is done to examine the rectum and anus by the use of an anoscope. Anoscope is a tubular device that is inserted into the anus
● Flexible sigmoidoscopy: In this procedure, the doctor will insert a thin, flexible tube with a tiny video camera through the anus into the bottom portion of the colon to examine the colon.
● Colonoscopy is done to inspect the entire colon by inserting a flexible tube through the rectum.
Non-surgical treatment for fissure
● Nitroglycerin ointment: It increases blood flow to the fissure, promotes healing and help relax the anal sphincter.
● Topical anesthetic creams: such as lidocaine hydrochloride for pain relief.
● Botox injection: It is used to paralyze the anal sphincter muscle and prevent spasms resulting in the healing of the anal fissure.
● Calcium channel blockers: These are given to relax the anal sphincter muscles and promote healing.
● Sitz bath: Resting in warm water that reaches your hips and buttocks following a bowel movement aid in decreasing the post excretion pain.
● MCDPA: MCDPA is a non-surgical approach to heal fissures developed by Dr. Ashwin Porwal. MCDPA is an acronym for is:
○ Medication – Medicated creams and stool softeners for constipation are used.
○ Constac – it is an Ayurvedic herbal preparation formulated by Indian Ayurvedic doctors at Healing Hands & Herbs.
○ Diet – Counselling by a qualified nutritionist to correct any imbalances in diet and chart a diet for healthy bowel habits.
○ Physiotherapy – It helps in reducing the spasm of the anal sphincter muscles resulting in the healing of fissures.
○ Ayurveda therapy – This therapy includes 6 sessions of enema of medicated herbal oils.
○ MCDPA has helped to treat over 5000 patients dealing with Piles, fissure, and constipation.
This procedure gives good sphincter relaxation, which helps in easing discomfort. Nevertheless, vigorous dilatation can cause multiple abrasions on the anal skin and requires 6-12 weeks to heal. Furthermore, The damaged tissue over the anal tear can be a possible source of persistent discomfort and would require to be removed separately.
Lateral internal sphincterotomy (LIS)
● This procedure is performed under general or spinal anesthesia.
● In this surgery, the hypertrophied internal anal sphincter is cut to release the tension and allow the fissure to heal.
● After the surgery, medicated dressing is applied to the surgical wound.
○ Rapid healing of fissure with no recurrence as a result of relaxed anal sphincter muscles.
○ The patient can go home after 24 hours or after regaining consciousness the same day.
○ Required skilled and expert surgeons for this procedure because excessive cutting of the anal sphincter results in loss of bowel control. At MEDSTAR, we have skilled and experienced Colorectal surgeons. We have helped treat over 100,000 patients.
● Fissure Laser Treatment in Dubai is done with the Leonardo laser to perform internal sphincterotomy. This helps relax the anal sphincter muscles resulting in healing of the anal fissures.
● This procedure is bloodless and accurate as the surgeon has good control over the operation site.
● With the help of the laser, the chronic fibrotic scar is also removed from inside the anal lining to prevent post-surgery discomfort with rapid recovery.
○ Bloodless and painless procedure.
○ Rapid healing of fissure due to minimum cut by lasers.
○ No recurrence of anal fissure.
○ The patient can return to normal daily life from the next day post-surgery.
Accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause of anal fissures by the use of modern diagnostic tools and its treatment by our surgeons has made MEDSTAR, a successful center for the fissure treatment in Dubai of anal fissure. Our patient can expect the permanent treatment of recurring and painful chronic fissures post the treatment.
An anal fissure is a small cut or tear in the inner soft lining of the anus. It causes anal pain and anal bleeding during bowel movements. Commonly it is caused by hard and large stool passage. Mostly, an anal fissure heals itself and does not require medical attention. Medical treatment is required in cases of recurring and chronic fissures which last for more than 6 weeks,
Yes, anal fissures can cause uncomfortable itching in the anal area due to the irritation of surrounding tissue. To get relief from uncomfortable and constant itching topical medicated ointments like hydrocortisone or zinc oxide are prescribed. The patient is advised to keep the affected area clean and dry. Consult the proctologist for the permanent fissure treatment in Dubai.
Yes, anal fissures can cause anal bleeding as small cuts can bleed during every bowel movement. The underlying cause of the anal bleeding must be diagnosed and treated accordingly. Consult the doctor as soon as anal bleeding is noticed. At MEDSTAR, we have the facility of anoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, and colposcopy to confirm the diagnosis and provide the best-suited fissure treatment in Dubai for the patient.
Complications of chronic anal fissures:
● Severe anal pain and anal bleeding during bowel movements.
● Regular bleeding can lead to anemia like symptoms.
● A chronic anal fissure can progress to a large tear in the inner skin of the anus leading to an increase in pain, bleeding, and delayed healing.
● A chronic anal fissure can get infected, resulting in fever, swelling, pain and pus discharge
Consuming a fiber-rich diet, adequate water intake and regular exercise help in smooth bowel movements preventing anal fissures.
Even after taking these steps, if you still get anal fissures, consult our colorectal surgeons at MEDSTAR. They will help you in diagnosing the underlying cause of anal fissures and their permanent treatment.
● An anal fissure is a small tear or a cut near the anal opening that usually heals within 3-4 weeks through home remedies and medications.
● For recurring or chronic anal fissures, fissure laser treatment in Dubai is the suggested long-lasting treatment. In this surgery, lasers are used to release the tension in anal sphincter muscles resulting in quick and permanent healing of the anal fissures. The patient can return to a normal work routine from the next day of surgery and complete healing takes 1-2 weeks.
copyright @ medstarhc.com