● Acne is a common skin condition caused by infection of the clogged pores or hair follicles of the skin. Oil or dirt can clog the pores and bacterial infection result in breakout in the form of pimples or zits.
● It affects the skin of the face, chest, back, hips and upper arms. They might appear as small red bumps to large pus-filled swollen cysts.
● They usually appear in the teen years and might continue to appear in adults. It is not gender-specific but adult acne is more common in females than males.
● Acne includes:
○ Whiteheads and blackheads
○ Papules are small red, tender bumps
○ Pimples or pustules are pus-filled bumps
○ Nodules are solid and painful lumps under the skin
○ Cystic acne or lesions are painful lumps filled with pus
● Severe acne conditions can result in permanent scarring, hyperpigmentation and indentations on the skin, lowering the self-confidence of the patient.
● Hormonal imbalance due to puberty
● Excessive oil production
● Medical conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome, high cholesterol or high sugar levels
● Pre-menstruation hormonal imbalance
● Irritation due to skin peels or creams or lotions
● Side- effects of medications
● Excess humidity
● Irritation on the skin due to tight-fitting clothes, helmets, masks or backpacks.
● The patient can consider acne treatment:
○ When self-care remedies are not helping and there is no improvement in the condition of the skin
○ Acne condition is worsening
○ Acne is extremely painful or can be felt like a big lump under the skin
○ Sudden onset of acne
○ Non-healing and continuous pus discharging acne
○ If acne problem is lowering the self-confidence
○ For cosmetic purpose
● A skin doctor or dermatologist will help in:
○ Controlling present acne and preventing future breakouts
○ Preventing damage to the skin like scarring, pigmentation and depression
○ Fading the acne scars
● Avoid trying over-the-counter acne medications as these can worsen the condition leading to permanent damage to the skin. Consult our dermatologist for safe and effective acne treatment.
Skin is the largest and extremely sensitive organ of the body, so make sure to choose certified doctors for the treatment of skin conditions. Our clinical team at MEDSTAR is certified in treating acne with the use of the latest procedures and technologies. Our patients get healthy skin and a confident personality by the combination of our safe skincare treatments and experienced dermatologists. We also help our patients to get rid of acne scars with the help of facials, peels, lasers, microneedling and microdermabrasion (link) procedures.
● Acne treatment includes controlling the acne condition presented by the patient, treating the underlying cause to prevent future breakouts and reducing or fading the acne scars complication.
● Treatment options for acne are:
○ Topical medications like retinol, salicylic acid, dapsone and antibiotics are prescribed in the form of lotions or gels to apply directly on acne.
○ Oral medications like antibiotics, isotretinoin, anti-androgen agents and oral contraceptives.
○ Light and laser therapy uses various wavelengths of light and laser to treat acne by cleaning the pores and killing the acne-causing bacteria.
○ A chemical peel uses chemical solutions like salicylic acid, glycolic acid or retinoic acid to control acne and improve the appearance of the skin.
○ Drainage and extraction are used to remove whiteheads and blackheads or cysts resistant to topical medications.
○ Steroid injections are used to treat nodular and cystic lesions by injecting a steroid drug into them that results in a reduction of inflammation and promotes healing.
● For reduction of acne scars following cosmetic procedures are used:
○ Vampire facials are PRP therapy based facials that help in fading the acne scars.
○ RF microneedling is the procedure that uses radiofrequency for clear and glowing skin.
○ Fractional laser resurfacing helps in fading the acne scars by the use of lasers.
● These treatment options are mostly used in combination for better results.
Our experienced dermatologist will examine clinically and guide on the suitable treatment, duration and number of sessions required according to the acne condition presented by the patient. The patient might need several sessions and a combination of different treatment options for effective acne management.
● In this treatment, a chemical substance is used to peel off the superficial layer of skin. Peeling of skin helps with unclogging of the pore, decrease in bacterial infection, removal of dead cells and shrinking of pores. This results in reduced acne and prevents future breakouts. Chemical peels also help in reducing acne scars.
● Chemical peels are safe and effective in managing acne and they give excellent results when used with topical or systemic medications. Know more about chemical peels( link).
● Chemical peels used for acne are :
○ Salicylic acid (SA)
○ Glycolic acid (GA)
○ Jessner's solution (JS)
○ Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)
○ Lactic acid
○ Salicylic acid-mandelic acid (SM) combination
● The dermatologist will determine the type and strength of peel to be used for the treatment depending upon the acne condition and skin sensitivity.
● Our acne treatment options also help with fading and treatment of acne scars. acne scarring is a very common complication of acne. Chronic and severe acne can lead to abnormal, pitted or raised and pigmented scars.
● along with the fading of scars vampire facials also help in reducing the size of the skin pores and preventing future breakouts.
● One of the effective treatments for reducing acne scars is vampire facials. Vampire facial is the procedure of injecting platelet-rich plasma into the skin of the patient for the regeneration, regrowth of skin cells resulting in clear and glowing skin.
● In this procedure, the skin of the patient is cleaned and sterilised. A small amount of blood (25-30 ml) is drawn from the hand of the patient and is processed to separate plasma rich in platelets. This PRP is injected into the skin of the patient with the help of microneedles under the effect of local anaesthesia.
● Injected platelets help in the regeneration of skin cells and collagen resulting in new, clear and glowing skin.
● This whole procedure is completed in 30-45 minutes and the patient can go home on the same day.
● The results can be seen after 15-30 days as clear, bright and glowing skin, that can be maintained for 2 years with a skincare regimen.
● Radiofrequency microneedling is the cosmetic procedure used for treating acne scars with the use of radiofrequency waves delivered by microneedles into the skin. Radiofrequency waves cause micro-wounds in the skin resulting in increased activity of skin cells. Increased cell activity helps in the increased production of collagen, elastin and blood capillaries leading to the regeneration of healthy, bright and glowing skin.
● In this procedure, the affected skin of the patient is cleaned, sterilised and topical anaesthesia is applied. Microneedles are used to create micro-wounds and deliver radiofrequency waves. These wounds signal skin cells to regenerate and regrow along with the production of elastin, collagen and blood capillaries. All these responses result in fading of scars and reveal healthy, clear and glowing skin.
● This whole procedure takes 20-30 minutes and the patient is free to go home after the session.
● Final results can be seen after 2-3 months depending upon the severity of the condition and response of the body. Also, the patient might need multiple sessions for the desire skin results.
● Radiofrequency microneedling can be done with PRP therapy for enhanced results for brighter and glowing skin.
● Fractional laser resurfacing is the cosmetic procedure used for clearing the skin with the help of a fractional laser.
● In this procedure, skin is cleaned and sterilised. a post-cleaning topical anaesthetic is applied. The fractional laser delivers laser beams in small fractions or columns creating micro-wounds in the skin. It also acts by vaporisation of the uppermost layer of the skin (epidermis) and stimulates the next skin layer (dermis) resulting in skin cell regeneration. increase skin cells productions and healing results in clear, bright and glowing skin.
● Though the results are permanent, the patient might need multiple sessions for desired healthy skin. The difference can be noticed after one week while complete results can be seen after 2-3 months.
● This procedure is completed in 30-60 mins depending on the area affected. the patient can go home and can resume normal daily activities.
● Drainage and extraction are used to treat acne that is chronic and resistant to topical medications. It is used to remove whiteheads, blackheads and surgically drain large pus-filled nodules or cysts to heal them.
● Steroid injections are used to inject steroid drugs into nodular and cystic acne lesions. These types of lesions are painful lumps that may or may not be filled with pus. Steroids help in reducing inflammation and promote healing of the nodules and cystic acne.
The patient will be instructed to:
Acne treatments are safe, highly effective and same-day procedures. Mild breakout, redness, swelling, itching and pain is experienced by the patient for the next 1 or 2 days. The doctor will prescribe medication and lotions for relief. These treatments help in managing acne resulting in clear, smooth and acne-free skin. Lifestyle changes and a regular skincare regimen can maximize the results of acne treatment.
Acne is caused by clogged pores and bacterial infection. They usually appear in the teen years and might continue to appear in adults. Acne includes:
● Whiteheads and blackheads
● Papules are small red, tender bumps
● Pimples or pustules are pus-filled bumps
● Nodules are solid and painful lumps under the skin
● Cystic acne or lesions are painful lumps filled with pus
Acne usually appears in the teen years due to hormonal imbalance and disappear in the 20s of the person. But this acne might continue to erupt in adults who are more than 30 years old resulting in adult acne. Adult acne is more common in females than males. Sudden or severe acne eruption need medical attention to rule out the underlying cause and its treatment.
Acne is not dangerous to overall health but can lower the self-confidence of the patient and easily impact the social life negatively. Severe acne lead to :
● Severe and permanent scarring
● Hard and raised scars called keloids
● Depressions on the skin
● Painful, swollen and itching large bumps called nodules and cysts
Acne also includes big, hard and painful lumps under the skin. These are caused by a deep bacterial infection in the skin. When they become chronic and resistant to topical medications then they are treated by surgical drainage or steroid injections. This will help in reducing the infection and healing of the cyst or nodule.
Laser is used for treating mild to moderate acne. This treatment is safe and effective with no downtime. In this treatment, mild vacuum and intense pulsed light (IPL) laser are used to clean the skin pores and kill acne-causing bacteria. This results in reducing active acne and preventing future breakouts.
Yes, chemical peels help with acne by exfoliating the superficial layer of the skin. Exfoliation helps in cleaning the pores, removal of dead skin cells, shrinking pores and reducing the bacterial load from the skin. All these actions of the chemical peel help in managing acne effectively. The patient might need multiple peels at regular intervals for the complete treatment of the acne.
Acne treatment can help effectively in managing acne. In cases of early diagnosis and medical treatment of acne help in achieving permanent results. While in cases of chronic or ignored cases of severe cases of acne, a long treatment plan is required to achieve and maintain the results. Also treating the underlying cause results in the permanent treatment of the acne.
copyright @ medstarhc.com